Friday, January 28, 2011

Mike, Don & Bernie.


It's so interesting to see these three different interpretations of David by Michelangelo, Donatello, and Bernini. I really do love them all but I gotta say that although I'm least familiar with Donatello's work I'm facinated by his sublime and refined interpretation. While Michelangelo and Bernini choose a beautiful but somewhat expected interpretation, Donatello opts for a highly personal one. I mean the dude's practically a dandy - fancy hat with hand on hip and all! When I saw this for the first time in the Bargello in Florence I thought it was hilarious. Perhaps Donatello's version is the most truthful to the story of David and Goliath, a young unassuming boy who had no hope in hell of defeating a giant yet somehow manages to do the impossible. What's Donatello saying with this piece??? maybe real courage can surprise you!

(image with red background from Denver Westword blog)

No comments:

Post a Comment