Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The value of painting.

Every time I look at a Morandi painting I feel quite emotional because I'm know that I'm being offered the opportunity to engage with the sublime. Giorgio Morandi (June 08, 1890 - June 18, 1964) was considered to be one of the greatest Italian painters of his generation, and although I relish in the power of the Italian Masters of the Renaissance, I have a very special place in my heart for Morandi and his small, still life paintings. His work is proof positive that artwork does not have to be physically large in scale to have big impact. These small paintings reveal themselves slowly and require that you exercise your "gaze" and truly engage with them, but the reward is truly life affirming. Like Rothko, Morandi's uses the substance of paint to communicate the ephemeral and fleeting nature of the material.

No comments:

Post a Comment