Sunday, April 22, 2012

An American Girl in Italy.

© 1952, 1980 Ruth Orkin via here

Several years ago, while on a typical Saturday art crawl with my friend Larry, we came across a great exhibition of work by photographer Ruth Orkin at Stephen Bulger GalleryAlthough it's a pretty iconic image I'd never seen it till then, so it was great to have the opportunity to experience not only this image but others in the series as well.
While we were chatting a couple of sophisticated elderly woman came into the gallery. Turns out one of them was the woman in the "American Girl in Italy" photo!
It was kinda surreal to engage with an image of a woman from a different time and place and then also experience the same woman in the flesh as she exists today, here in my city. It was one of those serendipitous moments I will forever cherish!
You can read about her story here, and about photographer Ruth Orkin here.

On a side note I'm pretty sure the photo above was taken outside Gilli cafe in Florence. If your in Florence, check out the window display, then go inside for a expresso at the bar. Trust me, it's sooooo worth it!

 photo by ©J. Dias

No comments:

Post a Comment